BlogWines proposes you to try the revisited version of the Italian traditional dessert with cinnamon and nutmeg aromas. You can see below its quick and easy recipe plus the wine recommended to pair with this very tasty dish.
How to make it?
For 6 persons – Preparation time: 25mn – Total time: 4h30
- Large bowl
- Electric beater
- Medium size dish
- 250g (8.8oz) of mascarpone
- 80g (2.8oz) of cane sugar
- 13g (0.45oz) of vanilla sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300g (10.6oz) of Speculoos biscuits (e.g. Lotus biscuits)
- 2 coffee cups (strong – espresso flavour)
- 1 tablespoon of black coffee amaretto (or as substiture: Marsala or Patron XO)
- 45g (1.6oz) unsweetened dark chocolate powder
- Separate white and yolks of the egss.
- Mix in egg yolks, sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Add the mascarpone.
- In another bowl, beat the white eggs until getting firm texture. Incorporate them gently in the mixture.
- Add the amaretto or Patron XO.
- In a dish, form a first layer of lotus biscuits which have been lightly soaked in the coffee.
- Then add one layer of prepared mascarpone cream.
- Repeat the steps 5 and 6.
- Sprinkle 30g of unsweetened chocolate powder.
- Leave the dessert during 4 hours at least in the fridge. Ideally 12h.
- To perfect the presentation, sprinkle the chocolate powder remaining.
Which wine to pair it with?
Although quite fat, rich in sugars and flavors, this Italian traditional dessert is also airy.
To pair with this kind of dessert, the wine needs to be tasty enough but not too strong nor sweety which would get the dessert too heavy.
Different options are possible:
- Accompany the dessert with the alcohol used in the recipe ( Amaratto, Marsala or Patron XO).
- Pair with an off-dry white wine (late harvests) such as Alsace Gewurztraminer (with notes of lychee, peach, grape and musky sweet spices), Muscat (with floral and spicy flavors) or Alsace Pinot Gris (with smoked notes, apricot and ginger bread).
- Propose a sweet rancio wine such as Banyuls and Maury (with aromas of dried fruits, cocoa and coffee).
- Serve a sparkling wine such as a brut Prosecco.